Rosewater is a fragrant liquid that is made by steam distillation of rose petals. Rosewater is often found in toners, moisturizers, facial sprays, makeup removers and masks. It is particularly beneficial for people with sensitive skin or rosacea because its anti-inflammatory properties soothe and calm the skin after using too much retinol or after a facial procedure (Huffington Post). There is evidence that rosewater was used by Cleopatra of Egypt during the ancient times and for generations, rosewater has been used by women all over the world to enhance their beauty. Now it is increasingly gaining popularity in many people’s beauty routines. Here are the benefits of rosewater.
1. It helps to soften the skin and give it a natural, healthy glow. For added moisturizing effects, add it to your cream or moisturizer.
2. It helps maintain the skin's pH balance, and also controls excess oil.
3. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the redness of irritated skin and get rid of dermatitis and eczema.
4. It is a great cleanser and aids in removing oil and dirt accumulated in clogged pores. Wipe the skin gently with a cotton ball dipped in rosewater to remove makeup.
5. Due to its antibacterial properties, rose water also aids in healing scars, cuts and wounds.
6. Rosewater’s antioxidant properties help to strengthen skin cells and regenerate skin tissues.
7. Because it possesses astringent-like properties, rosewater helps clean pores and tone the skin. Applying rose water after steaming tightens capillaries, reduces redness, and blotchiness.
8. The aroma of roses is known to be a powerful mood enhancer which reduces feelings of anxiety and promotes emotional well-being by making you more relaxed.
9. Rosewater is a wonderful natural conditioner and it revitalizes hair growth. The nourishing and moisturizing properties of rose water enhance the quality of hair. It is also known to treat mild scalp inflammations and get rid of dandruff.
10. The scent of rose water on your pillow also helps you to fall asleep faster and to sleep better, improving the quality of sleep and making you wake up refreshed.
11. It also helps aging skin, keeping fine lines and wrinkles at bay. It does this through its antioxidant action which neutralizes free radicals created by exposure to UV rays, pollution, harsh skin care products, stress, unhealthy diet and poor lifestyle choices.
12. Rosewater soothes sensitive skin! It can soothe the red and sensitive skin because of its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Soothe your irritated skin by spraying rose water on the face and massaging the skin gently. In case you are sensitive to rosewater itself, do a skin test in a small hidden area.
13. Rosewater reduces acne by removing excess oil from the skin and stopping the growth of bacteria. Make rosewater acne mask as follows: Mix rose water and juice of one lemon in equal quantities. Apply this mixture on your face and leave it for about 30 minutes. Wash it off with warm water. You will see a visible difference in your skin after 2 or 3 weeks because the acne will be gone and the blemishes and scars will be reduced.
14. Rosewater prevents sunburn and calms the skin after sunburn due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Keep it in the fridge and spray it when you return from the sun in order to lose the heat fast and stop the burning.
15. Rosewater tightens the pores and makes them appear smaller.
16. Rosewater can reduce an eye infection if you wet a cotton ball and place it over the eye.
17. Rosewater improves the effects of hyperpigmentation over time if used regularly together with the The Oil Cleansing Method.
18. Rosewater relieves symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and menopause and it gently balances hormones by reducing stress and anxiety. Use it as a body mist as needed.
19. Rosewater relieves menstrual cramps and improves mood swings if used as an essential oil diffused in the home.
20. Rosewater soothes an inflamed sore throat if you use it as a gargle or add it to tea.
21. You can soothe an aching tooth by applying rosewater as a poultice, i.e. by soaking a cotton ball in rosewater and applying it directly to the tooth.
22. If taken internally before or after meals, rosewater soothes digestive problems.
23. Rosewater can provide the body with nutrients, particularly when it is organic.
24. Rosewater relieves diarrhea and ulcers if it is added to digestive teas.
25. It clears bladder infections when added to teas.
How to Use Rosewater toner: You can simply wet a cotton ball with rosewater toner and wipe your face after cleansing. It will close the open pores and give the skin a beautiful floral fragrance.
Rosewater cleanser: You can also make a cleanser by mixing 1 cup of rose water, 2 teaspoons of glycerin and 10 drops of rose essential oil.
With so many uses and benefits, rosewater is a must-have for every person who has an interest in natural beauty.